I can't get the receiver to talk to the computer
The most likely problem areas are
1) the COM port speed setting for the receiver is not the same as the computer's COM port speed. See here for COM port setup.
2) the COM port number is not correct. See here for changing the COM port setup.
3) there is a cabling problem between the receiver and computer. See here for cable type.
4) An unlikely problem is that the receiver requires a reset to sort out some oddity that has lodged itself in its memory.
USB attached devices
If your PC does not have a serial port then you can either use a USB to serial adapter and connect a 9-pin programming cable, or use a programming cable that directly plugs into a USB socket.
Be aware that these USB to serial adapters and programming cables that plug directly into a USB port will be assigned a different Com port number by the operating system for each USB socket that you plug into. You will have to change the Com port number in the program if you use a different USB socket otherwise you will get an error when trying to read/write the radio.
To determine the correct Com port number do the following:
1. with the USB cable/adapter NOT plugged into the PC run CommTest (a free utility available on the author's web site Download page) and take note of the ports that are shown in green.
2. stop CommTest, plug in the USB cable/adapter and run CommTest again. The extra port shown in green is the port that has been assigned to the cable. Use this port number in the program. If no extra port is shown then you probably need to install drivers for the USB cable/adapter.
An alternative way to determine the port number is to plug the USB cable/adapter into the PC and then use the Windows Device Manager. Look at the section Ports (COM and LPT) to see if your device is listed. If it is not listed look for any other entry in the list of devices with a yellow question mark (?) next to it showing as an unknown device. Remove the cable and see if the unknown device disappears. If it does then you need to install drivers for it to be recognised by the operating system.
Alternative read method
If you are having problems reading you can try changing the alternative read method option on the Settings menu.